New Direction

Rocky Swishterson

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:21 pm Best way to recruit Chicago kids is to recruit a coach who knows the terrain very well and has a good lineage.

http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chi ... l-dynasty/
How do you recruit for a program in a market where you can't see them play (even a little) on TV. I live in Chicago area and am a WIU follower, which is extremely hard to be. Like I said earlier, I can watch about six other Illinois colleges on TV fairly regularly. But Western Illinois? Zip.
meganeck

leathernecks1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:23 pm Billy is a great guy that makes a great assistant coach, but not a head coach. Time to move on! This is brutal to watch. Tough shots, not very many assists, and getting beat (outcoached) everytime after a break in the action. Teams fire winning coaches all the time. Why is it so difficult to move on from a coach that doesn't know how to win? Anyone else at the helm would win more games.

The season is already lost. Do it now so the new coach can get a jump start on recruiting and start implementing their system.
I agree it is time for Billy to go, i was willing to give him some time, because he has had bad luck with injuries, etc., but they are healthy this year and still are a disappointment. He can obviously recruit and does seem like a good guy, but doesn't seem to be head coach material.I do believe you would probably see at least 2-3 guys leave if Billy is let go.

There is no way he gets fired now and absolutely no chance they hire a new coach during the season. I would think something has to be decided on an AD before a decision would be made on Billy. Are they even interviewing for the AD, Just name Danielle the AD and be done with it.
Tere North

meganeck wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 am There is no way he gets fired now and absolutely no chance they hire a new coach during the season. I would think something has to be decided on an AD before a decision would be made on Billy. Are they even interviewing for the AD, Just name Danielle the AD and be done with it.
I agree. Yep, Tanney was named fill in December after he'd been interim for 6-month. Why can't the same be done for Danielle?

Then again, while Thomas quickly names his male interims, full, he lets the females linger - evidence, Kathy Neuman, 3-years as Interim Provost, while the VPSS was Interm for < 3 months before being named full.
Western_101

Tere North wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:27 pm
meganeck wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 am There is no way he gets fired now and absolutely no chance they hire a new coach during the season. I would think something has to be decided on an AD before a decision would be made on Billy. Are they even interviewing for the AD, Just name Danielle the AD and be done with it.
I agree. Yep, Tanney was named fill in December after he'd been interim for 6-month. Why can't the same be done for Danielle?

Then again, while Thomas quickly names his male interims, full, he lets the females linger - evidence, Kathy Neuman, 3-years as Interim Provost, while the VPSS was Interm for < 3 months before being named full.
Tere if you are implying sexism, that is a concern that needs to be addressed. In this instance, I feel what is happening is WIU sports in general are floundering. There is trepidation in making Danielle the "Face of the athletics" as athletics is the biggest advertising vehicle for D-I universities.

I think WIU would like to land an established winner/builder rather than have an underling learn on the fly. WIU is on life support.
GV Dad

Neckfansince71 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:45 pm Maybe things get too complicated! How about:

Now, I been watchin'
how you been breakin' the colts.
But, my friend, you cannot play them
all the way man-on-man.
They got no head toppers.
Cedar Knob? A bunch of mites.
Run you off the boards.
You got to squeeze 'em back in the paint.
Make 'em chuck it from the cheap seats.
Watch that purgatory they call a gym.
No drive, 12 foot in.
That'll do.

;) jc
^^^ AWESOMENESS^^^ :lol:
Lakesbison

here's why you should worry
NDSU is a dumpster fire according to alot of us. 6-10 D1 record and a coach that is way in over his head..

yet they beat western pretty handily and really surprised me.

you had 2 great players yet never really set plays up for them.... I think you have talent. but losing to both north Dakotas when they have their worst teams in years isnt a good sign

just 2 cents from fargo
wiu bb 31

He is 44-85 overall (.341) and 15-52 (.223) in league play for his career. He is in year 5. Time to make a change for sure. Same for baseball. Brownlee is in his 6th year and to this point is 87-164 (.346) overall and 58-79 (.423) in league play. He should have any easier time winning games in Macomb than Billy does, but that's not the case.
vatusay

That summit league record is simply embarrassing.
#ALLIN #YOLO
Western_101

Can we just drop basketball? (yes I know it is mandated sport by the Summit).
LocalYokelFan

Crazy idea (and yet WIU did it in soccer... and golf...and track & field)... hand the reigns over to JD and Seth. Let them be basketball operations for both squads. We at least know those 2 can coach and develop players. I understand that there are a multitude of reasons why that wouldn't work, but at the same time I can't convince myself why it couldn't work either!